Thursday, July 26, 2007

If 7-11 is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, why are there locks on the doors?

Well, the family and I have just been kind of holing up this week... Just thought I would drop a note to let everyone know that I am still alive and well. We are so looking forward to the upcoming court date!

We have been doing a lot of research into local accommodations in Addis Ababa and have found MANY very nice choices at very reasonable prices. The only concern we have is that they will be available, with the upcoming Millennium celebration and all. So, I guess I will ask that you add that to your prayer list. It is little scary to think about finding your own way as far as sleeping and travel arrangements, but in the long run it will probably save us a considerable amount of money.

I was rereading one of my favorite magazines the other day, Plain Truth Ministries, when I came across a great little article/editorial ( Intentionally Inclusive, by Wayne Warner ) . The author was discussing what it means to be "intentionally inclusive" when it comes to other races. Being intentionally inclusive was something I had never even considered before we started the adoption process to adopt a black child. Since we started that process, I have tried to place myself in the shoes of those that are a true minority. My favorite part of the article is when the author says, "... after five decades in ministry, I still see undesirable pockets of racial resistance, most notably among fellow believers who simply do not see any problem with the status quo!Years ago, I learned how easy it is to simply look through a person and not see them. We don’t dislike anyone; we just do not see a problem. We view life through our lenses of assumed prerogatives and thoughtlessly acquired equality, and take it for granted because it is the law of the land" (Warner, 2007). Why was I so intrigued by those lines? Because I see it everyday. So many of the majority don't understand why the minority "is so sensitive" about what name they are called... Why does it matter what other people think? It does matter. Sometimes the only thing you have to cling to in a situation is your perceived place in society. For instance, the quickest way for a man to make me angry is by treating me as if I am dumb or beneath him in someway. Why is that? Probably because I know that some men believe that to be true.

Case and point: For Father's Day, my husband wanted a chainsaw sharpening kit. So, Taylor and I went to the Tractor Supply Company and went straight back to the chain saw area. Well, the type of kit you buy depends on the type/length of the chain on your chainsaw. I did not have this information with me (didn't know I needed it), but I had bought his chainsaw at that same store two years ago and the model was still in stock. So, I looked that chainsaw up down and sideways and could not find the type of chain it had on it anywhere. Finally, I went and asked an older gentleman for help. As we were walking back toward the chainsaw area I said to him "I am trying to find the chain type on this chainsaw, so I can buy my husband a chainsaw sharpening kit." He chuckled, tapped the man we were passing on the shoulder and said to him (in his best ISN'T THAT CUTE voice) "She wants to buy a chainsaw sharpening THING." (he thought I said that and thought he would share it with the other man in the department ) I quickly corrected him and pointed out that I had said "kit, not thing." So, then he started to help me. Long story short, he had no idea, I ended finding the information I wanted and then I showed him where to find it, but I was TICKED OFF. I have to admit, I still am a little bit. The point of the long story is that I do not think that a man could have been made to feel inferior as quickly as I did because the white male has never truly been under anyone's thumb (not that it is impossible, just doesn't happen as quickly or as often). And even though I am not currently under anyone's thumb, it wasn't that long ago that I could have been. I know this isn't exactly what it feels like to be black, but I think it is as close as I will ever come since I am a white, middle class female.

Anyway, that is my two cents. If you get a chance read the article it is really thought provoking.

On the adoption front: As of 5:00pm Eastern Time, it was 12:00am in Ethiopia. Of course, this means ONLY 3 MORE DAYS!!! :-)


1 comment:

kikstra said...

Good post- and the article is very-thought provoking... how do we become intentionally inclusive without seeming fake or offending someone? Or is that always our excuse for not being intentionally inclusive, I don't know!