Monday, September 3, 2007

Just another day in Ethiopia

Well, we have spent another day in the very rainy, very beautiful country
of Ethiopia. Yesterday I mentioned that we went on a long trip to the
north. The countryside was so beautiful it is hard to even described. The
beauty contrasted with the poverty is startling. This a country of people
who are happy in spite of their poverty, but as an American (even as an
American who has been to Africa) it is hard to swallow. James and I found
ourselves looking at the children and thinking of our own son. If it had
not been for a wonderful biological family, Kidus could have very well
been one of those begging children.

James as primarily been in charge of the camera and he has been taking
some great pictures. I know, I am being a tease because I cannot share any
with you, but nonetheless, you will see them soon.

Today we visited two museums: The National Museum and a university Museum.
They were great... Unfortunatly we were only able to see a replica of
Lucy, because the real Lucy is in Chicago. Ah well, she probably didn't
even miss us.

Kidus had a cough last night. I gave him some Tylenol with cough, which
worked, but he still did not sleep as well as he did the night before. He
zonked out right as we were leaving, so we did decide to leave him with
the ladies here since we knew we would be back by lunch. We returned and
he was happy to see us. That was nice. James and I spent the afternoon
playing with Kidus, Taylor spent it in the Kitchen with the ladies who
work here talking music and learning some Amharic. It was a really nice
day. Tomorrow we will be going to Merkato, the largest open air market in
Africa then a traditional meal and dance tomorrow night.

We still have not resolved the memory card issue, but took this picture
for the blog of our fun afternoon.

Thanks for all your warm comments. Hope this keeps the wolves from
circling for another day :) We also pray that all is well with everyone at
home!

12 comments:

April said...

Hmmm...did you just call me a wolf?? The picture is great and we are so happy to hear things are going so well! Looking forward to more info and pictures! (I'm never happy, I just want more and more :-) )

Anonymous said...

HI guys, sorry we missd your call today, I was outside,it was good to hear your voice anyway!Okay Deanna, that little boy looks pretty comfy and happy. Tell him his Grandma wants to hug him too.Miss you guys, but look forward to lots of stories when you get home. Tell Taylor she can us my kitchen anytime:)

Karen said...

Glad to hear you're still enjoying Ethiopia and having a wonderful time together! Looking forward to more stories and pictures!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the post!!!!

I LOVE the picture. You look like such a happy, glowing new mommy! :+)

Sounds like you are having lots of fun. Is it still the rainy season?

Give that precious baby our love! And tell Taylor I would love to have her come over and show me some Ethiopian cooking...you too, of course!

Take care! We are praying for you!

Anonymous said...

And today, we're not even wolves...more like loving, anxious friends :+) That sounds much nicer than a starving pack of wolves, huh?

Beth said...

It's a great experience to learn what will be happening during the stay in Ethiopia. Thanks for sharing.

Kim said...

Hey, I've been checking this all day and am so happy to see you all happy and together. Keep enjoying your trip you'll be home soon. I'm so happy for you all.
Kim

Deanna said...

I am so happy that everything is going so well for you four. I can see the love and happiness in Seth's and your faces and that is so awesome. Can't wait until you get home. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Love Cori and Jess.

Amy said...

I am so happy for you! Ethiopia sounds like a great adventure and Seth is cuter in every photo I see. Don't know how long I'll be able to keep my hands off him...

Anonymous said...

Yeah for you guys!! How exciting to finally be in Ethiopia. My husbadn and I met you a few times at different Adop. assoc. things. We just recieved our referal TODAY!! OUr new babe is in Enatalem orphanage right now.... thats not where you are is it?

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry I have missed your calls. I'm trying to call you backbot am having no luck. You guys all look so happy. He's sooooo adorable, can't wait to get our hands on him. You look good too. The best you've looked in weeks! Hurry home we miss you. Welove you and are praying for all of you. Tell my granddaughter I love and miss her too.......mom

Laurzie said...

I'm so jealous that you guys are getting to see so much while you're there! That is the coolest! We wanted to sightsee like crazy, but our group wasn't as adventurous. Oh well, next time!