Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Here we go!

It is official, I am blogging. I have had a bug in my ear about blogging now for at least 9 months (since we started the adoption process). Various friends nagged me (in a nice way!) and reading other blogs finally encouraged me to start one. Of course, I am borderline neurotic, so it takes me two days just to get everything right so I can actually start typing posts...

Side note (you may see these often with me): Where did the phrase "Bug in your ear" come from anyway. Kind of an unpleasant thought.

Okay, back to my purpose here. I am shamelessly addicted to reading blogs. Especially from people who are adopting from Ethiopia, as we are. For your reading enjoyment, I have started compiling a list of the blogs I read to the right of this blog. While reading a blog this morning (The Vokes Adoption Journey), I was inspired by how the writer condensed their journey to adoption in one short post. Since I have absolutely no moral fiber, I will be copying that very idea for my post. Just kidding, I think you can copy general ideas and still be considered an upstanding citizen and a good Christian.

So, here is my life story in a single blog (man, I LOVE technology!):
April 1992 - At the age of 15 I gave birth to my daughter, Taylor
1997 - Became a Christian
June 2002 - Married my husband, James
December 2002 - Decided to go on the mission field to Tanzania (enter our love of Africa)
January 2004 - Diagnosed with Cervical Cancer
February 2004 - Cancer removed, but need to stay in the States for another 3 years. We decide to extend that stay until 2010 so Taylor can finish high school (the end of the 3 years would have been right at her sophomore year).
August 2006 - Submit application to Adoption Associates, Inc. to adopt from Ethiopia.
September 2006 - Start homestudy
November 2006
- Homestudy meetings completed (on my 30th birthday!)
December 2006 - Submit I600A
January 2007 - Paperwork problem, resubmit 1600A
February 2007 - Fingerprints
March 2007 - Dossier submission to State Department
April 2007 - Paperwork issue, resubmit to State Department
April 2007 - Paperwork to Ethiopian Embassy
April 24, 2007 - Referral and acceptance of 6 month old gorgeous little boy (more on him in the next post, I swear)
May 2007 - Paperwork winding its way through Ethiopia while we wait on a court date.

So, as you can see, for the last 9 months, this adoption is our life. I eat, drink, and sleep the adoption process! I am a mom, wife, and a full-time student as well, but somehow the process of adopting slips into my dreams and any other spare minute I have :-)

4 comments:

April said...

WOW! You finally did it! I am so proud of you! You did a great job condensing the last 15 years of your life into 6 inches. Now, we want pictures of the baby! :-)

Anonymous said...

I'll forgive you for borrowing my timeline idea :) Actually, before I decided to do that, I seriously had 3 long pages of "catch up". It was ridiculously long and boring. I'm going to borrow your blog link idea. See you Saturday! Can't wait to meet everyone!

Denise Bryant said...

I cannot believe you got a referral so fast! That's amazing. I'm looking forward to reading more about him.

Yodit said...

I am so blessed to see that everything went so fast so far as well. I really think the agency is on a roll now! I have lots of tips for when you are ready to go to Ethiopia. We had a great experience when we went to bring our daughter home. I'm new to this blogging idea. It's great I think i'll start one to help those who are still in process.