Thursday, May 10, 2007

Our Son, Kidus

I promised I would give more information about our son at a later date, and here I am. His name is Kidus (pronounced Ki as in kit and Dus as in doos. Ki-doos... I think. ) Kidus means "blessed" in Amharic (the official language of Ethiopia), and we are truly blessed. We are blessed by God, by Ethiopia, by his birth family, by Adoption Associates, etc., etc., etc. I could go on and on. Anyway, he is perfect. I literally spend hours (ok, maybe all total) staring at him and trying to imagine how he smells, feels, sounds. I cannot wait to hug him to me. I know that my husband feels the same way.

As for pictures, I don't know why but I don't feel like sharing him with 'the world' yet. I love to show him off to people in person, and our friends and family, but there is something different about posting him on the web. I think I am going to hold off on posting pictures of him. However, I will happily post pictures of my other babies :)

This is my husband and our daughter, Taylor. She is all done-up for a Follies program they did at the school. She was in the kick line (aka Chorus line).

This is a RARE photo because my husband's tongue is not sticking out. If you know him, you understand. If you don't, then you are probably assuming he is weird in some way and you would be right. That is one of the many reasons I love him so much. And somehow, even though Taylor is not his biological daughter, she is just as weird as he is. Proof for the nurture versus nature debate! This means that by default, Kidus will probably be called weird himself someday :) In our family, that is a compliment.

Back to Kidus for a moment: he is 6 months old and seems very healthy based on medical reports and pictures. I know it may seem silly, but I have been praying that God will give him dreams of us so he will know us when we get there. It is easier for us because we are able to start bonding with him now; he will be thrown into it. It hurts me to think of the losses that he will be feeling when we take him from all he has ever known. However, I know it is in his best interest and that he will fit into our family like a missing puzzle piece. I also know that it will be easier on him because of his age. I am grateful for that. Adoption is an emotionally complicated thing that you can't truly comprehend into you are knee deep in it.

For a final note, I leave you with pictures of our dogs: Napoleon (the little white one) and Wilbur (the big red one). And this time of year they give us endless amusement and leave pieces of themselves all over the place to remind us they are there (their fur!)

3 comments:

Denise Bryant said...

It was great to read about your little boy, very exciting for you. I totally understand about not wanting to post his picture on the web, too!

April said...

Ok, your other babies are pretty cute too. I need to get a copy of that one of James...such a nice departure from his usual! :-)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your encouraging words on my "HOLY COW" post! Yes, it is really happening! How long was your turn around after the dossier was sent to Etiopia? Oh wait, I think you said you already had your referral, right? Anyway, I can't wait to hear more about your family, including your new little one! We will see you tomorrow night!