Thursday, May 31, 2007

Would a fly without wings be called a walk?

We sent out our care package to Kidus this morning. We included a blanket my mother made that we slept with for two days and a photo album for babies. Inside the album we put close-ups of all our faces labeled in Amharic (in case the nannies can read it to them). We forgot to take a picture of the stuff before we sent it, but here is the album. Picture our faces inside it. :-)

I have also been working on my Amharic. At this point, I think I can ask for the phone, the house, the bed, count to three, apologize, and confirm or deny. However, I cannot guarantee that I will not do it in an offensive manner. I am working on that. (the language is male or female sensitive, like Spanish or French. Oi.)

I also scheduled our appointments for our shots and malaria prescriptions. I am kind of excited because I found a travel doctor in the area (The Travel Doctor) who will not only give us all the shots and medicines we need, but we will be spending 1.5 hours with him, reviewing Kidus' medical reports, and discussing everything that we need to know about the trip and what to expect. How cool is that? We have been to Africa before, but never with an infant. I want to be as prepared as possible.

Oh yeah and I got an invitation to a baby shower today... Kinda put me in a funk. I know it shouldn't, but it did.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a special treat for Kidus! He is so blessed already.

What kind of program are you doing for your Amharic? We ordered one off of Amazon for the computer. So far I can say "hi" and no (i think). I'm SO not good at learning another language!

I'm sure that the baby shower invite was hard. Hang in there. Don't let snakes trip you! And I'm always a phone call or a lunch date or a coffee break away!

Deanna said...

Thanks for the reminder about snakes :) You are right, of course!

I am using Talk Now to learn Amharic. The truth is, I remember the words for like an hour, then they are gone. Oh well, I will probably learn just enough to get myself in trouble. LOL

April said...

That's amazing that there is a Dr like that right here in West Michigan. Maybe we aren't as hick as I thought!