Tuesday, June 12, 2007

How do fish know that worms will taste good? Are there random worms swimming in lakes and rivers?

And on the topic of fish and worms, is that not the best example of "if it looks to good to be true, it probably is"? Is there ever a case that a fish is just swimming along, sees a floating worm bouncing around in front of his or her face and is able to eat it with no strings (pardon the pun) attached? Now, what about the fish that grabs on, gets off somehow and then grabs back on? Is that optimism in its purest form? Case and point that pessimism is the best way to go if you don't want to get snagged.

As of Friday, James and I have been married for five years! It seem like it has been so much longer. And I know that many of you read that and think "ouch" that was rude, but I mean it in a good way. James and I have a great marriage. So great, in fact, it feels like we have been together since the beginning of time. Okay, enough of the mushy stuff; I will share some photos.

James and I love fishing, so that is where we spent Sunday afternoon for our anniversary. We caught a few pan-fish and that was about it, but it was a very nice, relaxing way to spend an afternoon with my husband.

Yesterday, the whole family took a trip to Grand Rapids for a plethora of shots and travel information. We left the doctor's office with sore arms and a deflated checkbook, but a good feeling. It is nice to feel prepared and that is how we feel right now. (disclaimer: someone please remind me I said this before I get on a plane to Ethiopia!)

On the Adoption Front: Still no news, but yesterday was the day that we received some fantastic photos of Kidus from Ben and Joanna, who are in Ethiopia right now. In the last few hours I have scoured our contract with Adoption Associates, trying to decide if we could share his photo online. I came to the conclusion that we could. However, I just now inserted it into my blog, felt funny about it, and immediately deleted it again. I am not sure why, but I cannot bring myself to post his picture on here yet. If you would like to see the pictures, please feel free to email me privately and I will be happy to share them with you. He is gorgeous, after all. ;)

Ben and Joanna went above and beyond the call of duty by video taping Kidus attempting to crawl. I cannot wait to watch this video. I know I will bawl like a baby, but when you are at this part of the process, you hang onto every little shred of hope you can.

Speaking of hope, some dear friends of mine have decided it is time I have a baby shower; Apparently they are tired of walking on egg shells around me and need to see me smile or something. Just kidding (kind of)... Actually, my friend April is a pretty smart lady and she knows that I need my spirit uplifted and that this shower is just what the doctor ordered. I am so excited! I was fifteen years old when I had my first (and only) baby shower. I truly did not appreciate it the way that you do when you are 30 years old.

And onto the the part about uplifting your spirit... I went to the Gull Lake Bible Conference today for their annual Ladies Day. There was a phenomenal speaker there by the name of Priscilla Shirer. She was very motivating and really convicted me that lately my prayer life has not been what it should.

Here is a picture of me, my mother-in-law and great grandma-in-law (94 years old!) at the conference.

I have a somewhat related question out there to my reader: is pessimism realism at its best or faith at its worst? Just a thought I am pondering... Still don't know how Blogger makes their money, though.

Well, back to the real world.

(By the way, the title of this post is courtesy of my husband, James)


5 comments:

Denise Bryant said...

Congratulations on your wedding anniversary! How sweet of them to take pictures and video of you son. :)

And I think your husband's addition to your blog is hilarious!

Anonymous said...

I love reading your blog!

CONGRATS on the baby shower! You are SO blessed to have such great friends that know you oh-so-well!

CONGRATS on the annyversary, again! Sounds like you had fun! Marvin and I are the same way. We feel like we have been together forever. Guess that's what happens when you find your soulmate!Ahhh...

Sounds like the women's conference was fun and slightly God ordained! Sometimes we need to be convicted of prayer. And now your blog just convicted me. The woman on the right in the picture looks like my old neigbor from Bellevue. It's a small world, but not that small.

QUESTION: Was your pessismism statement miswritten (I know, it's not really a word) Is it supposed to be "Is pessimism realism at its best or faith at its WORST (not worth)"? Just trying to figure it out...My answer...faith at it's worst, of course. But I'm an optimist!

Deanna said...

To Denise: Thanks for the congratulations! :) I will also pass on the compliment to my husband... Who reads this blog but NEVER comments.

To Marissa: Thank you for noticing that typo and the congratulations :)
No matter how many times I read something I have written, I almost always miss something. That is why it is so important to have someone else look it over. (and I figured you would say that about pessimism LOL)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
April said...

I'm glad you are excited about the shower! It will be fun!

I think that my pessimism is realism in that I don't think that only good things will happen, but I can be optomistic that God always does what is best...even if I don't like it at the time.