Saturday, June 16, 2007

Why is it when you get from here to there, you're still here and not there?

Well, it has been a busy weekend, but probably not a whole lot worth blogging.

James and I went and registered for baby items on Friday. That was a lot of fun. Although, it was kind of difficult at times trying to decide what stage/size Kidus would be when he finally makes it home.

Shopping for Kidus was also a time of mourning some losses for me: the loss of the early stages, the loss of the ability to breastfeed, the loss of the itty bitty clothing, the loss of pictures each month for the first 12 months of his life, etc. I can honestly say I did not dwell on those things, but they were fleeting thoughts as we purused the aisles of every baby item you could ever need (It has been 15 years since I have had a baby and they have even more cool stuff then they did back then!). I was able to look forward to some things: his first set of swimming trunks and a dip in Grandma's pool, the books we will read together, bath time, camping... The list is truly longer than the list of things I will be missing.

We also faced a new dilemma that had not crossed my mind when thinking of a boy. We were in the bathing section trying to decide on baby products like soap, shampoo, lotion,etc., when it dawned on us that we were not sure if regular baby shampoo would be okay for his curly black hair (okay, maybe this was more my dilemma than James'). You may be thinking "Duh, Deanna! Of course it will." but I really wasn't sure. Around the time that I was mulling this over, this very nice black woman and her little girl passed us. I suggested to James that he should stay put because I was about to go have a heart to heart with this woman (honestly, what goes through my head sometimes?). I found her in an aisle and asked her for help. I explained my situation and inquired as to what shampoo she used on her daughter's hair. She humored me and I learned that baby shampoo was okay, detangler works if needed, and that I should wash his hair often or cradle cap may develop. Really, very nice woman.

I was also able to go shopping with some friends for Vacation Bible School supplies this past week. I know that may not sound like fun, but it really was... I guess I needed to get out of the house and quit checking my email for an afternoon because I felt better for it.

Oh yeah, we also decided to have a garage sale next weekend. Whatever we raise will go towards purchasing items to bring to Kidus' orphanage. Prayer for good weather and that we don't go insane. I hate having garage sales, but since the money will be going for a good cause, I think that will make it much more enjoyable.

Have a great Father's Day, everyone!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a GREAT weekend to me!

That is SO awesome that you got to register! Was it at Baby's R Us? That store is just wonderful.

That's funny about the whole "baby shampoo" saga! I would have done the same thing!

Happy Dad's Day to James!

April said...

It is sad that you have missed things, but you are right...there is so much to come. You will have an entire lifetime of memories ahead for all of you to look forward to! It is really exciting to think about all the special firsts you will have with him.

I'm glad you got registered...that is so fun! And you gave that nice lady something to tell all her friends and neighbors about! LOL

Denise Bryant said...

That's funny that you warned your husband that you were going to go talk to her! I'd have to do the same thing and he would make himself invisible. :)

I'm going to take our daughter to get her pictures taken for the first 12 months after we bring her home. Our other children I did that for the 12 months after they were born, but I think hers will be extra fun as she'll be smiling and all into it for each and every one of them.

You might be able to get a bunch of information from the nannies at the orphanage. Maybe they keep a progress log of some sort? Like when he first did this, or when they first gave him this kind of food. I don't have a clue, but maybe you'd be surprised?

Deanna said...

Marissa: We registered at Target and Burlington Coat Factory (Baby Depot).

April: You are right about the memories. Soon the memories I have will far out weight the memories I don't have and it will be a non-issue.

Denise: I am hoping that the nannies will remember things about him, but I would be really surprised if they kept a log. However, I am a pessimist so I always appreciate the optimist view on life. I need it every once in a while! :-)

kikstra said...

I share your feelings about garage sales 100%, even after our very successful and blessed one! I will pray for good weather and blessings for yours!
Now I'm confused about the shampoo thing- I had heard not to wash their hair often as it would dry their scalp out and cause more cradle cap type issues. Hmmmmmm, maybe this will be a live and learn thing- or we could check with Joanna, who will be the resident expert, at least temporarily.

Deanna said...

Betsy,

I had heard similar things about cradle cap. However, my wise friend April pointed out that it will probably be a non-issue at Kidus' age. We still might want to ask Joanna...or maybe a pediatrician. :)

Thanks for the prayers!