Friday, September 14, 2007

Day three of our journey to Seth Kidus

(You can click on each picture for a closer look)

Day three was a Sunday morning in Ethiopia. We foolishly set our alarm, though we were awakened long before it was to go off. Today was the long day trip into the mountains. After a wonderful breakfast (cooked by Hewitt), we headed off. Our first stop was a little deli to pick up lunch (the best club sandwiches I have ever had), then we stopped for a bunch of bananas (Amharic: Moosh). This was the point where I was reminded that African time is in no way similar to American time: Alemu, James, Taylor, and I were scheduled to pick up the Hahn family at 9am, so we left the house at 9am. Then we stopped for coffee and had two cups. I think we finally got to the hotel at about 9:45am, where of course, the Hahn family was waiting out front.

Our babies were not with us for this trip. James and I decided to leave Seth with Geezashe and Hewitt because it was going to be such a long day, and Layla Hahn was still not feeling well. Personally, this was a very difficult decision, but later we realized this was such an non-family-friendly trip, that it was the best decision.











Ethiopian country side is beautiful this time of year. In terms of green, I think it rivals Ireland. We were headed north and up into some of the mountains that surround Addis Ababa. Along the way, we stopped often for pictures of the countryside.
Alemu said that all that is now green because of the rainy season turns brown in a few short months.










These carvings were carved into the side of the mountains. If I only had this much talent in my little pinky!









We even had the chance to stop at a small village market along the way. Of course, we were the entertainment there. That is one thing you should know before going to Africa: usually the white people draw a lot of attention. It isn't in a negative way, however. It is in a friendly, curious way. While we were in Ethiopia, we were continuously stared at and talked to, but I never once felt unsafe or uncomfortable because of the attention. If you can look at it for what it is, curiosity, than you can have the right attitude about it. Personally, I was a little disappointed that people weren't pointing, staring, and staying "ferengi" (white) when we got home. :)

Our final destination was an Ethiopian Orthodox church and monastery. We were given a tour of the church by a very soft spoken, very knowledgeable, monk. The whole feeling of the church was amazing. Although the churches are beautiful, the interesting thing I found is that they feel different the churches back home. There was more reverence. It felt holy. That is the only way I can describe it. Being in this church, feeling the presence of God... this is where my culture shock began. It lasted a couple days, but I know that I felt it the instant I left that church.

A few years ago, when we were in Kenya and Tanzania, I felt the culture shock upon return to the States, it was backwards this time. I was so sad and depressed for the first couple days that I was unsure if I would be able to pull myself out of it and enjoy my time there. I think there were many contributing factors to my mood, but the primary reason was the sheer magnitude of the begging. You could not stop at any stoplight, yield sign, or anything else without being asked for money. Now, there was a difference in the type of people that begged. Some desperately needed it and you could tell. Others would ask for money and when you said "no" (or eye-duh-lem in Amharic) they would give you a look as if to say "Well, I gave it my best shot." Either way, it was difficult because you really can't give to any of them. Because of the number of beggars, you will be mobbed if you try to help one or two. So, we choose not to hand money to the beggars. That was another difficult decision.

Anyway, I digressed. After leaving the monastery, we were headed south, towards home (but there were still many stops along the way).


First stop: Lunch at a local home (we brown bagged, they watched), then a very poor orphanage that also helped the elderly and the handicapped.












Next stop: Local resort that was near a bridge that was built in the fourth century (without any cement). The resort was definitely on its way to being a pretty nice place and had a fantastic view of the countryside.










Next stop: Local farmer and his family. This place was very muddy (since it was the rainy season) and a few of us had difficulty staying upright (I won't name names). The family was very nice!












Next stop: Dinner at a place called "Honeymoon Park." I know that this food does not look all that appetizing, but it was really very delicious. What wasn't very good was the drink they call "yellow drink." Apparently, in the past it was only available to the royal family, but now is available to everyone. It is a VERY strong drink and personally, I did not care for it. At least we can say we gave it a shot, right? Great place to eat. If you are ever in the mountains of Ethiopia, I highly recommend the Honeymoon Park.









After dinner, we were finally headed home after a long day. We were happy to see that Seth was still awake when we returned home, which gave us some time to play with him.

By the way, I have a side note. Many of you have noticed that our son has had a transition of names, so I thought I would explain. While in Ethiopia, we referred to him only as Kidus. Therefore, our posts reflected that. Once we were home, we began adding Seth to the beginning and calling him Seth Kidus, thus allowing him to learn his name with minimal adjustment difficulties. He is now answering to Seth, so we have started to call him only by Seth on the occasion. I am sure that with each post you will see a little bit more of this change. His final, legal name will be Seth Kidus Norris. He is doing great, by the way. We could not ask for a more happy, easy-going baby. He has even started sleeping through the night - but I am being my realistic self about this and not taking it for granted. :)

7 comments:

kikstra said...

Wow, what an adventure-- I can't stop looking at the boy in the orange shirt on the orphanage pic. His scowl looks just like my Sam's- I have a feeling I'm going to want to take dozens of the kids home with me- or do you get numb to it? I'm guessing probably not. . .

Anonymous said...

you know when this kid grow up he might think about visiting Ethiopia or make Ethiopian friends .That is when he will come to you and ask you how in the world you would give me a name that means "a women" in amharic?Without getting in your families business you might need to take a second look at the name Seth.That is not a name a boy of Ethiopian origin can be named.Unless you plan to keep him away from allthings Ethiopian.

Anonymous said...

I mean "a woman".

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures! It sounds like a nice day. I wonder if we will be able to do that if we stay at the Hilton???

Deanna said...

Yes, you will still be able to do that while staying at the Hilton. The Hahn family stayed there.

Deanna said...

No, I never got numb to it. In a way, it would have been easier.

April said...

I'll try to remember to point at you and call you 'ferengi'.

Someone falling in the mud reminded me of the time Claire fell down at a farm. She told everyone for weeks that she "fowed down in pig poop."