Thursday, October 18, 2007

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. - Anonymous

A good friend of mine recently mentioned that she did not need to use quotes because she can come up with her own words. I say that it has all been said anyway, so why waste the brain cells? The quote I used for my subject line is a perfect example.

Anyway, I digress. I am taking just a moment to hammer a few words out while Seth is taking his afternoon nap.

He is doing so wonderful. In just two weeks he will be one year old! Amazing! This time last year we had just begun the adoption process, which meant that we had just begun to pray for our baby and his biological parents. It is awe inspiring to think that while Seth was in his biological mother's womb, we were praying for both of them. I remember saying to a friend, "It is possible that he or she is being born right now." I wish that I had written down the date that I had said that. It is possible that Seth was born today or yesterday or a week from now... Since the Ethiopian country choose his birthdate, it is almost impossible to know what the actual day was that he was born - and it doesn't really matter. We don't really celebrate Christmas or Easter on the actual day, why should a date make that big of a difference? Wow, I am rambling now!

Here are some milestones that Seth has reached since we have been home:

  • He is saying a few words - Mom, Dadda, more, and all done.
  • He is actively requesting things like his favorite book (Moo, Baa, La La La) and will moo on command.
  • He will walk around with the assistance of anything he can push across the room.
  • He is sleeping through the night and taking at least one good nap in the afternoon.
  • He eats EVERYTHING (with the exception of green olives and white mushrooms).
  • He has acquired the taste of a pacifier, which leads to the next milestone...
  • He will sit in his car seat, awake and without screaming, for a reasonable amount of time.
  • He dances like a crazy man and LOVES music (this comes in handy since we go to a lot of band performances.
He is doing well and I am even starting to adjust :) I will not lie - it has been fairly difficult to go from having all my freedom during the days to being attached, but we have worked out a pretty good little routine. And he is so much fun, who could not love spending the day with the little guy?

Well, I need to go. The long afternoon nap has ended.

10 comments:

Karen said...

Thanks for the update, Deanna! I have to admit I'm a little hesitant to give up all my free time (which there isn't much of when I'm in school...) but I know that I'll willingly do anything for my baby once she's here!

Mindy said...

It sounds like things are going wonderful! Thanks for the update!

April said...

He is doing great...but I am just a little disappointed you didn't mention his favorite new word- April. :-)

Deanna said...

Well, April, I thought I would let you blog about that since you are the only one who hears him say it :)

HeatherV said...

Enjoyed reading your update! He is so adorable! Glad things are going so well!

kikstra said...

Oh, you and April crack me up! You've also reminded me of Chloe's favorite book- when she was tiny, she would shake her head super hard on the page that says "No, no you say, that isn't right"- I need to dig that book out! ...and go buy onesies, and set up the crib, and organize his closet. . .

Anonymous said...

Your son is too dang cute...

OK, I'm ready to go now!

Deena said...

Hello whiner. O.k. I'm posting you a comment. Well that was pretty much the comment, you are a whiner.Oh, and you baby's pictures are super cute.Oh, and to April, that kid likes me way more than he likes you. Now what do you have to bolg about that!

April said...

Guess she figured out that commenting thing. Bet you wish she hadn't now. Go back and comment that she does not always tell the truth on the Internets like the rest of us do.

Oh, and Seth had new stuff on day 8 for me again. I MIGHT have to take your blog out and then IMMEDIATLY put it back into bloglines. (Don't worry, I promise to put it right back in!)

Deanna said...

No kidding April. I feel like I need to put a disclaimer for her:

Deena is a really nice person. She is totally kidding and I promise to teach her how to use smiley faces from now on :)

Oh yeah, and she doesn't always tell the truth on the internet like the rest of us. By the way, did I mention I am 22 years old, 5'7" and weight 110lbs? ;-)