Saturday, October 6, 2007

Why do we press harder on a remote control when we know the batteries are getting weak?

It is becoming increasingly hard to post these days. Man, I cannot wait until football season is over. Between band events (because the Taylor does color guard and plays the flute in the non-marching season), Varsity football games (because the Taylor does color guard) and Junior Varsity football games (because Taylor cheers), and chasing a fast little crawler around, I have decided that I am much too young to feel this dang old! (that, was a little salute to country music for all you fans out there!)

Our high school band is doing great though. At the last band competition, they took first in their division and brought home all but one award. Not bad for a small town band. Here is Taylor in her color-guard costume:



As of Monday, we will have been home from Ethiopia a whole month, but it feels much longer. We have settled in, for the most part. I am still relearning how to do things with a baby on my hip. I had forgotten that normal activities (like showering) really can become quite the chore...

Seth is definitely saying a few words. We weren't sure at first, but he makes it perfectly clear when he is "ALL DONE." It is so cute! Maybe it won't be when he is two years old and we are trying to get him to eat his broccoli, but for now it cracks us up.

I promised to share some of Seth's outings since he has been home. He loves being out and about, although lately we have noticed that he gets his fill of all the attention fairly quickly. Last night at our football game he turned his head whenever anyone tried to talk to him. Eventually, he started screaming and made it very clear he was sick to death of people being in his face. We brought him home and he was fine. This is kind of a new development, but to be honest I don't blame him... I would get sick of it too! At least he knows that when he is tired, he just needs to let us know and we will give him a much needed break.

Last week we visited a local zoo with Marissa and her kids. I think Seth had a good time, I know we did!



Here he is working out with his daddy:



This week we had a great opportunity to get together with some other moms (all adopting or have adopted from Ethiopia) and chat. I had a really nice time and Seth was reunited with his old buddy, Mikias, from his orphanage.


They did not go running into each other's arms (as I had planned), but it was very nice to see Joanna and Mikias. This was the first of many get-togethers for these two! Soon they will be playing together, rather then in the same vicinity of one another :)

It was also really nice to talk to all the other moms. I can't wait until we can all get together with ALL our children. So many of the moms will be traveling soon to get their little ones, so please pray for them.

Yesterday we went to my friend Amy's studio and had Seth's first photos taken. They turned out BEAUTIFUL! I will share them as soon as I get the go-ahead from the photographer. By the way, she is awesome and you can check out her blog here: Behind the Lens.
She would have a website right now, but her friend had to go get a beautiful little boy from Ethiopia in the middle of designing it... So, in the meantime, check out her blog :)

And just for kicks, check Seth out with his buddy Heath. Aren't they adorable?



I guess if I posted more often I wouldn't have so much to share in one post. I will try to do better about that!

7 comments:

Amy said...

Deanna has my permission to use part or all of my photograph of Seth Kidus for use on her blog. This permission is granted without fee provided that copies are not made or distributed for profit or commercial advantage. To copy otherwise, to publish, to post on servers or to distribute requires prior specific permission and/or a fee.

There now you can post the photos!

Denise Bryant said...

Oh, I'm looking forward to seeing the photos! Taylor is beautiful and I'll bet she's having a great time, even though she's very busy!

We need to make it out to Binder Park Zoo next year, those giraffes are so cool.

Anonymous said...

Per Max, Taylor is so beautiful...someday she will appreciate people saying how much she looks like her mom!

Your son is too stinkin' cute! I don't blame him either if he tires of all the attention. It must be pretty annoying having everyone touch your head, your hand, your cheeks constantly! It's great that he is able to show you when "enough's enough". You guys are such great parents!

Ted and Jill said...

You crack me up! Love the pics of your outings and Taylor's color guard. I hope to be sharing pics of our new children someday SOON! (I hate that word!)

By the way, I hope Denise doesn't share my 8 things in her "book"...people may get a bad impression of me for the pizza incident! ;)

kikstra said...

Yes, I agree- keep the '8 things' out of your book Denise! And Taylor is beautiful- kinda puts fear in my heart for when my daughter's a teenager! I might have to call you for baby-care advice- we watched our 4 month old nephew last night and Carl & I both just looked at each other like "huh? What are we getting ourselves into?"- Doesn't help that I had to change my clothes twice when he 'projected' on me!

Anonymous said...

*blog stalking Deanna*

Look at that last picture. Those babies are cute. Though I may have personal preference.

I am glad to have finally met Seth today!

Jessica Perberg said...

Deanna, thanks so much for sharing the pics of Seth...he's such a sweetie! I was so bummed to miss the get together and seeing you and Joanna and your little ones, but maybe next time.