Friday, February 15, 2008

"The pen is mightier than the sword, and considerably easier to write with." - Marty Feldman



Yesterday I had two root canal restorations done. For those of you that have never had the pleasure, let me give you a brief rundown of what that entails: During a root canal (which I had in November), the endodontist drills down through a tooth and completely removes any root that is left in the tooth. Then the endodontist fills it with a temporary filling. In my case, they did this because I had an infection in the roots of two teeth that were side by side. During a root canal retsoration, the dentist puts a post where the root used to be and fills it up just like a cavity. When I had the root canal I was going to a random dentist I choose because he accepted our insurance. He had BEAUTIFUL office with fountains and imported furniture. Seriously, the waiting room was very nice. However, to be honest, I never felt entirely comfortable with him. So, when my husband's job switched insurance January 1st, I called up my former dentist, who I had been seeing since a kid.

Now, I absolutely hate going to the dentist. Not necessarily through any fault on the part of the dental professionals, just because I cannot stand the thought of the scraping, etc. But the price I was about to pay (as quoted by the dentist with the beautiful office) made me want to put off that root canal restoration as long as possible. He quoted me $800 per tooth, 80% of which would be paid by my insurance. That still left me to pay $320.00 for something I did not want to have done anyway. But I knew it had to be done so I went on Valentine's Day (Happy Valentine's Day to me) to my former dentist. Do you know how much they charged me and my insurance? $144.00 per tooth, meaning my total was only $52.00! What the heck??

So, I have a question for everyone out there. Did you know that you had to shop dentists for a good deal? I knew there would be differences in pricing, but $1300.00? Is that ridiculous, or what?

28 comments:

Karen said...

Yes, I knew there was a price difference, however, I've seen the dark side of a new, cheaper dentist too...(Which is not the same as your situation, since you went back to your old, tried, and true dentist!) I am actually going to have to re-do the crown I had put in at the cheap-o dentist office, but keep putting it off as long as possible. Our tried-and-true dentist office is going to let me off cheap, however, a crown is not cheap no matter how you look at it...:-)

Glad to hear it worked out well for you!!!

Deanna said...

Yes, I would never suggest you choose your dentist based solely on price, but with a huge mark-up like that, it doesn't hurt to ask around a little bit.

That really stinks that you have to have a crown redone!

April said...

Yes, I did know there is a huge difference in price. I think most people use insurance so they can get away with the ridicules overcharging. Our entire health care system is like that. I think if more people shopped around like you did prices would really get much more reasonable.

Glad you get the nerve up to go and get it done! Good for you!!

HeatherV said...

I am behind on your blog. About comments. We are a bi-racial family (hubbie is Indian). So, my son is rather tan looking. One time I was getting on the plane and he was 6, maybe 7, weeks old and someone asked me if I tanned him. Yes, I take my 6 week old to tanning beds :)

Laurzie said...

That's insane! I'm so glad you got a good deal, and with a guy you like, too. Not a fun way to spend Valentines, but at least now you can bite with confidence! :D

kikstra said...

That's very good to know- our dentist just moved to a new office with plasma tv's in every room, a gigantic fishtank, leather waiting room chairs, etc.-hmmm, our bill did seem pretty high. Glad you got it over with though. I'm sure I'll be posting about funny comments soon too- lots of people have asked "is he your foster baby?"- once I just said "nope he's all ours", then paused and let them off the hook after a moment's confusion.

Denise Bryant said...

Oh, my, now that's a huge price difference!

Laurzie said...

I know I already commented on this, but I had to reread it since oral surgery is looming for me... :(

Robert said...

Find the Best doctors in delhi. Connect with the top doctors in delhi . Get comprehensive information about the best doctors in . Make an informed choice, get the right healthcare solution in delhi.

Unknown said...

Yes, I think there are price differences in different clinics. But I rarely ask around for prices as I usually go to my trusted dentist in Nashua, NH. I've been going to him since I was a teenager. The price range in his Nashua dental clinic is very affordable and the place looks really nice.

Anyway, glad you went back to your old dentist and everything went well.

Shweta Gill said...

thank you for sharing , helpful for me nice one.
Dentist in North Delhi

ghost said...

yes , woow there is price difference nice blog this helpful for us
dentist in mumbai

Cherie Lawson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cherie Lawson said...

very useful blog and thanks for sharing.
best piles hospital in bangalore

Best Dentist in Jamshedpur said...

Oh, now that's a huge price difference!,awesome artical to read
Best Dental Clinics in Jamshedpur

lisa adams said...

good to know this information thank alot
Dentist in Viman Nagar

nagpurdentist said...

dentist in nagpur
- Dr. Arya’s Dental Clinic is state-of-the-art furnished with modern equipment and own well-equipped laboratory dental clinic in Nagpur.

lailynda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
lailynda said...

Nice blog , very helpful for me , if we looking for treatment visit dental clinic in paschim vihar

Annabelle Crommelin said...

creative content.
Dentist Ballarat

smithcraft said...

true dentist , very helpful blog for people thank you for sharing.
dentist in dhantoli

ZeenatDeshpande said...

very used full blog thanks for sharing
Root canal treatment cost in vadodara, Chandan Dental clinic in Vadodara is leading dental clinic having experienced dentist in Vadodara, Gujarat. Enquire Now, Book Appointment online

lailynda said...

Nice blog , if we looking for dental treatment visit dental clinic in paschim vihar

Thank you for sharing.

Shweta Gill said...

very good blog , keep sharing.
dentist in pimple saudagar
visit

Dental Health said...

very good blog
best dentist near janakpuri

lailynda said...

nice blog visit dental clinic in paschim vihar

http://galaxydentalclinic.com/ said...

Very Nice Visit Dentist In Pimple Saudgara

http://galaxydentalclinic.com/ said...

best dentist in pimple saudagar pune