Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Where do swear words come from?

Yes, I know, the title of my post ends with a preposition. It's a blog, not a college paper, I can do that. :-)

Well, it has been 150 degrees with 110% humidity around the Great Lakes. So, have I decided to spend it lounging around the pool? No... I am in the kitchen, canning, freezing, and storing our harvest. It is a Martha Stewart kind of day. I don't have air conditioning... Do you feel sorry for me? Don't. I am always saying that I hate air conditioning, so I deserve to be this hot. As a matter of fact, I feel like this right now:


This weekend was fun. We went to James' company picnic. Most of the activities were geared towards little ones, but we still had a nice time. I finally got a decent picture of the three of us (decent meaning my husbands tongue is not hanging out).

I just found out today that another family from our agency will be traveling the same time as us. As a matter of fact, they will even be on the same flight to Ethiopia. The cool thing is that they have two teenage sons about the same age as Taylor. Wait, maybe that isn't cool :) No, it will be nice that they will have someone to talk to other than their boring old parents. We still have not sorted out the accommodation issue, but hopefully we will not be sleeping in a car!

My emotions are still on a roller coaster. A good roller coaster, but none-the-less... My heart swells whenever I think about how grateful I am that Kidus' family unselfishly gave him a better life. That could not have been easy for them. I am praying that we will be able to meet some of his relatives, and I hope that we will be able to keep in touch with them. I am also so grateful to the country of Ethiopia. So many countries refuse to adopt their children out due to pride. I know it must be difficult to see such a large portion of your children leaving your country. How wonderful is it that countries like Ethiopia have stepped up to make sure these children get homes, without even getting anything in return? That is truly refreshing that a government agency is capable of working for the people. A rarity, in my oh-so-cynical opinion.

Here is that photo I was talking about. I think I will switch my profile picture now.

Only 22 days!

5 comments:

Ted and Jill said...

That is so great that you have another family to travel with? Anyone we met at the various get-togethers? We cannot wait to follow your travel and gotcha-day in ET.

Jill

Anonymous said...

First of all...How did you get that picture of me from the farm?

I have air conditioning and I choose NOT to turn it on (most days...really, only like once a summer, and then what is even the point of that???) I just can't justify the expense. As long as you share your harvest, I won't feel sorry for you.

What a great point you bring up by laying down your "oh-so-cynical" attitude. It is SO refreshing to see that they truly want the best for the children of their nation. They recognize their own need, know that they can't fulfill it, but allow other willing parties to do so.

What a GREAT family photo!There is such joy and anticipation on your faces!!
Godspeed, Kidus!

Cori said...

That is such a great picture of the three of you. I can't wait to see the new one with the four of you!!!

As for the air conditioning, I don't remember that being mentioned in the house sitting deal!!!! Oh well.

God Bless!!

Deanna said...

Jill: The answer to your question came with the AA's yahoo group emails today. :)

Marissa: First of all... Stop that! :)

Cori:Thank you. Oh, did I not mention that we don't have air conditioning for you to enjoy while we are gone...? LOL. It will be August 30th, it should be cooler by the, right?

April said...

Hey! That's a really nice picture of you...and I like the one with Jamie and Taylor too!